St Philomena College was founded by Msgr Antony Patrao who felt that a College in this part of the state would save the people of the inconvenience of moving to distant places for higher education. He set out to realize his dream and the mission was accomplished in the year 1958.
Since its inception, the Institute has lived up to societal expectations, turning out consistent and appreciable results in academic and non-academic fields. The institution does attempt to treat the primary stakeholders in 5 UG programs and 5 PG programs with a rewarding educational experience.
The Quality Assurance Framework of the institution has been developed to assure academic standards and enhance the quality of education. It underlines the institution’s commitment to excellence and improvement.
Consecutive Mysore University Inter-Zonal Athletic Championship Trophies
Numero Uno Rank
Life Science and Library Block
Extension of College Ground
Extension Counter of the Corporation Bank
Fr Serrao Sacerdotal Silver Jubilee Memorial Building
Establishment of Kannada Sangha
Affiliation to Mangalore University
Silver Jubilee Memorial Hall
St Philomena Computer Center
Chapel - Divya Chethana Hall
BBM Degree Program started
U to H shape of the College Building
BCA Degree program started
St Philomena PU College carved out of the College
NAAC Ist Cycle of Accreditation
BSW Degree program started
MSW Degree program started
NAAC IInd Cycle of Accreditation
Center for PG Studies and Research - Building
M.Com. Degree program started
M.Sc. Physics Degree program started
M.Sc. Mathematics Degree program started
M.Sc. Computer Science and MA Economics Degree programs started
NAAC IIIrd Cycle of Accreditation
Rank-band: 151-200 in NIRF Ranking
Swachh Campus Ranking
University Research centre for Physics
NAAC IV Cycle of Re-accreditation with A Grade
It was in the middle of the 20th century that a lean, young priest came down to Puttur as the Parish Priest of Mai De Deus Church. Come he did, saw the pitiable existence of the rural folk, was moved by the inconveniences suffered by the youngsters for want of institutions of education college at that. As Msgr. Antony Patrao was under oath to serve society, he chose the field of education to serve society effectively. He set out to conquer the world of educational darkness and he did.
Eventually, in 1958, a college named after the Saint, Msgr. Antony Patrao revered the most, St. Philomena came into being. The new college building was inaugurated in 1958 by Mr.Anna Rao Ganamukhi, the Minister for Education, Govt. of Karnataka. Dr. K.V. Puttappa (Kuvempu), Vice-Chancellor of Mysore University presided over the inaugural function. The college got the affiliation from Mysore University. Msgr. Antony Patrao became the founder Correspondent and Rev. Fr. Francies Serrao was the Founder Principal of the College.
The College was started with one year PU course with History, Economics, and Logic (HEL) in the humanities section and Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PMC) in the Science section. There were Ten teachers and 121 students - a modest beginning by all accounts. Of our students who appeared for the examinations conducted by the Mysore University, 83% passed, registering the highest pass percentage of a college throughout the University, what a great reward
for the tireless efforts of the great Visionary Msgr. Patrao!
The College was started with one year PU course with History, Economics, and Logic (HEL) in the humanities section and Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PMC) in the Science section. There were Ten teachers and 121 students - a modest beginning by all accounts. Of our students who appeared for the examinations conducted by the Mysore University, 83% passed, registering the highest pass percentage of a college throughout the University, what a great reward for the tireless efforts of the great Visionary Msgr. Patrao!
The St Philomena College Men’s Hostel was founded by Rev. Msgr Antony Patrao in 1959 along with the support of then Bishop of Diocese of Mangalore, Most Rev. Raymond D’Mello. The Hostel is established to provide board and lodge, inculcate study atmosphere, and enhance the talent in sports & games of the students who come from neighboring districts and states to pursue their higher education at St. Philomena College, Puttur. The Hostel is completed its glorious 60 years of establishment.
First Year BA and B.Sc. Degree programs were started in 1959.
NCC and Social Service League, which eventually became NSS were also started.
A degree program in Commerce (B.Com.) was started in 1959.
The College bagged Mysore University Inter-Zonal Athletics Championship Trophy consecutively for three years in 1962, 1963, and 1964.
The academic efforts of the college got a due recognition in the form of Ranks in the year 1965 when K.P.L. Moodithaya bagged the IXth rank in the B.Sc. examination conducted by the Mysore University. The precendent set by him was continued by A.S. Kalluraya who secured the IXth Rank in the PU section in the year 1966.
The College ground was extended to the present-day structure of a 400-meter track.
The extension counter of the Corporation Bank was started in the year 1973.
To promote Kannada language literature and culture, Kannada Sangha was established. Prof V.B. Moleyar became the founder president of the Sangha.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has identified St. Philomena College, Puttur as one of the Best Performing Institution along with the other 68 HEI’s in the nation with Green Smart Campus which is focusing on Cleanliness, Waste Management, Water Conservation as well as Wastewater Management.
The efforts have been placed on record by the MHRD in its Handbook of Institutional Achievements in Swachh Campus Ranking 2019 along with other 68 Higher Educational Institutions. This great recognition would boost our decade-long efforts in serving mother Earth.
Particularly in the efforts of promoting Swachhta in villages the College has been placed at the 4th place in Karnataka. The promotion of Effective Solid and Liquid Waste management in campus has been well appreciated by the MHRD.